Have you ever noticed that, in conversation with a relative stranger, when you mention your occupation or favourite subject of study or hobby or whatever, the person will often make a comment about your particular passion or interest. Often they’ll be an expert on the subject and will say something like, you know, there are two things about – thus and so.
Try it sometime, when someone mentions something you happen to have an interest in, just say something like: there are two things about __________. I read that somewhere, some time ago. It’s kind of like that book, Everything I ever Needed to know I Learned in Kindergarten. Well, the Two Things goes like this: “For every subject, there are really only two things you really need to know. Everything else is the application of those two things, or just not important.”
I’ve been mulling over lots of life’s Two Things (try it, you’ll find yourself thinking of many “The Two Things about________…”). Here are some I’ve been thinking about… and each time I think of one, I then think of what I think might be a better one. Or two.
The Two Things about parenting:
1. What’s the most important thing right now?
2. This, too, shall pass.
The Two Things about marriage:
1. Today’s the day to make it the best.
2. Things won’t always be this way.
The Two Things about life:
1. Everyone wants to be loved.
2. Everyone wants to be accepted.
The Two Things about people:
1. Everyone wants to be right.
2. Everyone wants to feel important.
The Two Things about the game of life:
1. Don’t cheat.
2. Don’t give up.
The Two Things about social life:
1. You only have one chance to make a good first impression.
2. You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.
The Two Things about marriage:
1. Always be the first to say you’re sorry.
2. Always say you’re sorry first.
Here are some more ideas from the Two Things guy – Glen Whitman
The Two Things about Computer Programming:
1. Idiocy increases faster than idiot-proofing.
2. All compiling errors boil down to a missing semicolon.
The Two Things about Blogging:
1. Everyone who runs one is a kook.
2. Everyone who comments in one is a kook.
The Two Things about Women
1. When complaining, they don’t want your advice, they want your sympathy.
2. Don’t you dare tell them you can sum them up with just Two Things.
The Two Things about Parenting:
1. There’s no such thing as too much affection
2. It’s not so much what you say, as it is what you do
The Two Things about Driving:
1. Don’t hit anything.
2. Don’t let anything hit you.
The Two things about homeschooling:
1. Education has nothing to do with going to school.
2. It’s not really about education.
More “Two Things” another time.
Have you had enough of the elections already?!?!
Do you still wonder who you’re going to vote for? Take this test… you’ll see your choice.
Just think… one of the greatest promises in Scripture is one we might not consider to be our greatest or favourite promise: 2 Timothy 3.12, “Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.”